In partnership with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we offer an English as a Second Language (ESL) program for healthcare professionals.
The ESL program for healthcare professionals is free for Canadian citizens, convention refugees, refugee claimants and landed immigrants. It will be of interest to ESL learners pursuing a career or an entry-level position in healthcare.
Each week, 13.5 hours of English language instruction is provided with a focus on general medical terminology and the language of healthcare. The course will be offered in a hybrid mode - you will attend some days on-site face to face and other days online from home. Participants also attend three workshops on: employment advice (resume writing skills, interview etiquette, job searching skills), a hospital training session (emergency procedures, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), confidentiality and privacy etc.) and a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first-aid training session. You will learn how to: read health care journal articles and literature, improve your bedside communication with patients, describe medical instruments and procedures, report, interview and document. A hospital training session will be included.
Upon completion of the program, students receive a certificate of participation (if attendance requirements are met) and have the opportunity to join the hospital volunteer program.
- Have a language assessment from a CLARS Language Assessment Centre. To book an appointment call 416-925-5462. Assessments are valid for 12 months.
- Submit proof of Landed Immigrant Status, Refugee or Citizenship in Canada.
- Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) range between 6-8.
- Make a 10-week commitment to the program: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM.
- Attend 80 per cent of your classes in order to get your certificate and be considered for volunteering at MGH.
- Have basic computer skills, access to a computer and internet for the online portion of the course.
|Information Session||Registration and Start Date|
Place: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Adult Education Centre - Gymnasium
270 Cherokee Blvd. M2H 1S9, 416-397-6959, in the GYM
Place: Our Lady of Mount Carmel Adult Education Centre
270 Cherokee Blvd. M2H 1S9, 416-397-6959
Bring: Photo ID with current address + Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment Level (Call YMCA, 416-925-5462)
Frequently Asked Questions about the PrograM
- Who can enroll in the ESL program at Michael Garron Hospital?
Anyone whose first language is not English, and who has an interest in the healthcare field.
- Where are classes held?
ESL classes are offered in hybrid mode. This means that you will study both on-site face-to-face and on-line from home.
On-site classes will be held at:
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Adult Education Centre
270 Cherokee Blvd
- When are classes held?
Classes are held Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
- Will my participation in the program be useful as a reference for future employment?
This experience can be extremely beneficial in certain job markets. Certificates of participation will be provided upon completion of the program.
- What happens if I am away?
If you are sick, you must notify the school office. Failure to notify us for two consecutive days will result in termination from this program.