Portions of the pedestrian sidewalk and roadway on the east side of Coxwell Avenue will be closed December 9 - 24 (approx.) due to City of Toronto work within the area. Pedestrians and vehicular traffic are asked to please follow onsite safety signage.
English as a Second Language for Health Care Professionals
In partnership with the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we offer an English as a Second Language (ESL) program for healthcare professionals.
The ESL program for healthcare professionals is free for Canadian citizens, refugees, landed immigrants and will be of interest to ESL learners pursuing a career or an entry-level position in healthcare.
Each week, 13.5 hours of English language instruction is provided with a focus on general medical terminology and the language of healthcare. Participants also attend three workshops on: employment advice (resume writing skills, interview etiquette, job searching skills), a hospital training session (emergency procedures, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), confidentiality and privacy etc.) and an optional cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first-aid training session.
Upon completion of the program, students receive a certificate of participation (if attendance requirements are met) and have the opportunity to join the hospital volunteer program.
- Have a language assessment from a CLARS Language Assessment Centre. To book an appointment call 416-925-5462. Assessments are valid for 12 months.
- Submit proof of Landed Immigrant Status, Refugee or Citizenship in Canada.
- Have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) range between 6-8.
- Make a 10-week commitment to the program: Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Attend 80 per cent of your classes in order to get your certificate and be considered for volunteering at MGH
Our next program begins on Monday, September 23, 2019. Anyone interested in enrolling in the program must attend a mandatory information session on Tuesday, September 17 at 11:30 a.m. in the Gray Steele Conference Room (J wing, room 404) Michael Garron Hospital, 825 Coxwell Avenue. This one-hour session will include an introduction to the program. Pre-registration is not required.
Frequently Asked Questions about the PrograM
- Who can enroll in the ESL program at Michael Garron Hospital?
Anyone whose first language is not English, and who has an interest in the healthcare field.
- Where are classes held?
ESL classes are held at:
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
270 Cheerokee Blvd
- When are classes held?
Classes are held Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
9:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Will my participation in the program be useful as a reference for future employment?
This experience can be extremely beneficial in certain job markets. Certificates of participation will be provided upon completion of the program.
- What happens if I am away?
If you are sick, you must notify the school office. Failure to notify us for two consecutive days will result in termination from this program.