Hospitalization can be a stressful time for patients, families and friends. The Department of Spiritual & Religious Care at Michael Garron Hospital has trained professionals who can provide support. Our staff are affiliated with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC), as well as the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). We are dedicated to improving the quality of life for people experiencing spiritual, moral and/or existential distress due to changes in health and life circumstances.
Spiritual Care Professionals can help in many ways, including when patients:
- struggle with the meaning of their illness
- have concerns with spiritual themes
- wrestle with difficult treatment options
- require a religious ritual specific to their tradition
- express anxiety or fear
- receive bad news
- are away from home and would like support
- are anticipating surgery
- would like someone to pray with them
- are experiencing loss and grief
Spiritual Care Professionals are available onsite from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Patients and families can arrange a visit through a member of their healthcare team.
Sacramental ministry for Roman Catholic patients is provided by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto.