Portions of the pedestrian sidewalk and roadway on the east side of Coxwell Avenue will be closed December 9 - 24 (approx.) due to City of Toronto work within the area. Pedestrians and vehicular traffic are asked to please follow onsite safety signage.
Being admitted to the hospital
When you are being admitting to Michael Garron Hospital we want to do whatever we can to make your stay with us as comfortable and as caring an experience as possible.
Registration is an important step in your care. Please arrive at the admitting department at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.
What you need to bring
Your Ontario health (OHIP) card. If you do not have a health card, please bring government-issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- Your private insurance or employer secondary insurance information (certificate number and policy number) if you would like to request a semi-private or private preferred room.
- Name and contact details for your substitute decision-maker (SDM). Your SDM is the person who will make health and personal care decisions for you if there is ever a time you are not capable of making them yourself. Learn more about substitute decision-makers.
- Name and contact details for your alternate contact person. This person is not authorized to make health or personal care decisions, but may be someone who plays other important roles in your life. For example, some people may list a family member who is not their SDM, a friend, a neighbor or even a landlord.
- Your family doctor’s name and contact information. If your family doctor is listed in our system, they will automatically receive your discharge summary reports, consultation notes and diagnostic test results.
- A cheque, debit or credit card to pay for additional expenses
- Personal care items (brush, toothbrush and toothpaste, shaving supplies, lotion, shampoo, pajamas, robe, and sanitary care products)
- Comfortable clothing, slippers and/or shoes to wear when you are leaving and returning home
We have developed a Patient and Family Guide with lots of useful information for patients who are being admitted to the hospital. The guide provides information about your care team, your room and hospital amenities, and much more.
For more information about your upcoming appointment please read the Patient Appointment Guide.
Registration is an important step in your care, and your information must be checked each time you visit the hospital. In a process called positive patient identification, our staff will verify your identification when you register. They will also ask you infection control screening questions.
We will make every effort to provide the type of room you prefer, but the medical needs of other patients can affect our ability to fulfill your request. We appreciate your understanding.
Your feedback is important. Please take a few minutes to complete our online survey. Thank you.